Cleaning Up Your Side Of The Street | 7 Meaningful Ways To Clean Up Your Energy To Attract What You Want Out Of Life
The new Netflix show “Tidying Up With Marie Kondo" has officially gotten to me. I was initially adamant that I was not going to jump on that bandwagon. But she definitely makes a point about the importance of showing gratitude for what you have, being fully aware of what is taking up the space around you, clearing out the items that do not truly induce a sense of joy (ie. dealing with the attachments, grief and loss that often hold us hostage to the past or our core wounds) and increasing a sense of freedom in your life through organizing your material things in a way so that you can see them and know exactly what is there.
A number of years ago, when I made a deep commitment to “Cleaning Up My Side Of The Street” I decided to invest in a coach. I had big dreams for my life and relationships with others that no matter how much I learned and applied I just could not manifest what I wanted out of life. My health had declined due to stress. I was overworked and my schedule was at the whim of my clients. I had experienced the loss of my mother the year prior. I was “trying to date in a healthy way” very unhealthily living out my own relational blueprint (Google “Attachment Styles”). My past traumas were triggered constantly and although I was fully aware of them; I was not doing well at addressing them and making longstanding change. Even as a trauma trained mental health therapist! One thing you must know, is that even as a professional fully able to help others make meaningful changes in their lives, actualizing change in your own life is just as challenging as any other human being’s life. True and long lasting behavioral and emotional change is hard no matter who you are, but it doesn’t mean that it is not empowering. Doing your work need to become a continuous practice and change does not happen in a continual linear trajectory upwards. There are ebbs and flows. There is regression. There is giving up. There is starting again. And again. And again. And again. What really matters is that you DO NOT GIVE UP and day after day you START AGAIN.
While there are many many ways to make meaningful changes in your life and cleaning up your energy field; here are some of the monumental activities that I did that made lasting meaningful change in my life (that have to be done as a ritual or practice over time):
1. “The 27/9” – This was the name I gave to one of the first tasks my coach gave me to clear up space in my life for a partner and to manifest my dreams into reality. Now I do not know the true origin of this activity, but believe it has something to do with numerology (if you know, please teach me. The mission is to get rid of (sell, donate, trash/recycle, giveaway) 27 items each day for 9 total days in a row. One item can be as simple as a single sheet of paper. What I found, doing this twice 6 months apart, was that by days 7, 8, and 9 I was getting to the real emotional Sh@$. I was making the decision to Let Go of the very things that created my identity…. in the past. I found that I had an attachment to a persona that was not true any longer. I had these things stored in a corner of an overcrowded closet, broken, and yet… still there taking up space. What is truly magical is adding the following mantra to each item, “By releasing the energy of ___, I call in ___ into my life.” KonMari style – give gratitude to the item first. By doing this you are creating the exact space you need to bring in that Magic you dream of manifesting
2. Ho'oponopono – Ho’oponopono is a Hawaiian forgiveness prayer. “I’m Sorry, Please Forgive Me, Thank You, I love you.” Now there are many ways to practice this prayer. What was truly enlightening was actually taking ownership of the energy on my own “side of the street”. I was initially quite resistant to this. I was after all, a victim, to many years of traumatic situations and neglectful relationships.
The task: Take an inventory of every last past important or pivotal relationship and write down every last person you feel something, even slight, discomfort around or while thinking about. Now write a letter addressing each part of Ho’oponopono to that person. This could take an afternoon, or days, or weeks. What I bet you’ll notice, as did I, is that there is a theme in how your approach relationships that is the key to changing the relationships you have in your life, or at the very least, your perspective. And honestly, perspective is all that needs to shift to send you in a whole new direction. What you are doing here is releasing energetic chords and/or attachments that you have to these past relationships; not letting them “off the hook” for what they “did to you”. To transmute the energy surrounding these relationships and relationship patterns, try engaging in a ritual to give this back to Source to cleanse and clear you of these energies. I’m a fire sign, so burning them has been found to be the most powerful for me. Other options: send it down the river, out into the ocean, bury them into the earth, shred them, or if you need to and may actually be supportive to the other person’s life, send it to them. But ultimately, this is for you and your own releasing and energetic healing.
3. Identifying your Core Desired Feelings or otherwise known as Desire Mapping (Danielle LaPorte). I’m not going to go into how to do this exactly, Danielle does this exquisitely. But by going through the exercises to identify what you honestly want to FEEL in your life each and every day, provides a clear map to discerning where to focus your attention and time. When you can identify your Core Desired Feelings, you have a baseline to check in with yourself about which direction to take or decision to make. When you feel clear about this, you have no need doubt yourself, and trust in your higher-self and the communication with your higher-self and spirit strengthens. When you can have an ongoing relationship with your higher self, you develop this trust in life that becomes unshakable.
4. Clean up your diet – Honestly, I think most of us have food sensitivities that are greatly impacting our mental, physical, spiritual, and emotional health. I know that when I eat gluten my joints hurt, my thoughts aren’t clear, I’m irritable, and my perspective is off. Most foods sold in our stores today are not true or real foods. To start somewhere - Just start shopping the perimeter of the store or buy whole foods and ingredients. Pinterest has been such a good resource for recreating your favorite comfort foods out of whole and real foods grown from this earth. While veganism is currently said to be the most High Vibe diet; I am not yet there; however, just making sure you are taking in food that is grown and cared for ethically, lovingly, free of pesticides and antibiotics will do wonders for your health and your mood. Autoimmunity is on the rise and our bodies just can’t naturally cleanse the level of toxins (e.g . Electromagnetic Frequencies from all our WiFi devices and towers, chemically created body care products and cleaning products, scented candles, etc.) that are ingested from our diets or absorbed by our lifestyles. We have enough energetic toxins to cleanse through our bodies environmentally, at least with your diet you can take some control back and make meaningful choices. When you feel better, you have cleaner energy surrounding you. That higher vibe energy naturally attracts to you the same higher vibe energies. It’s a process. Remember to show yourself grace and compassion throughout.
5. Clean up your household cleaning products and body care products – Environmental toxins are greatly impacting our endocrine systems. This is a gigantic topic. Please do your research – Google “Endocrine Disruptors”. We have some great changes to make in the way we live our lives on this planet. What I will say is that I was able to put into full remission an incurable autoimmune issue that usually requires a surgery by cleaning up my diet, cleaning up my products, and learning to manage stress more productively.
6. Move your body. I don’t care how you decide to do this. You must move that energy through your body. Our bodies hold on to so much physically, emotionally, mentally, and energetically. Some of my favorite ways: Shaking, Dancing, Walking, Sun Salutations, Yoga, Stretching, and Hip circles. This doesn’t have to be a big work out. By history, I am an athlete, but as I’ve approached adulthood, things get busy, and time becomes short. Lately, I’ve been committing to a practice in the mornings of doing Donna Eden’s 5 minute Energy Medicine Routine and the shaking that Rochelle Schieck teaches in her Qoya movement practice. I encourage you to try Rochelle’s Shaking routine and let me know what you notice.
7. Meditation, Breathing, or another form of Spiritual Ritual or Practice – Tune in and Connect. There is so much more happening beyond what can be physically seen, tasted, touched, smelled, or heard. Just sit quietly for a while. Take a walk in nature. Look at someone or some thing you Love. There is an energy so much bigger and more powerful than what is currently able to be identified in the present moment. Sit with it for a while. Let me know what you notice.
Bonus – Develop a daily Gratitude practice. This goes beyond just listing what you are grateful for; while very good too. This is an all the time practice. To get started, try writing down a few things you are grateful for, but share Why you are grateful for this in your life. What does this situation or thing help you to feel? We know now that The Secret was missing one big element to actualizing any manifestation and that was holding a particular feeling and emotion along with the visual as if it has already happened. Having a daily Gratitude practice will put you in the energy field of appreciation and receiving with a purpose. I plan to write more on Gratitude and practicing Gratitude later on the Blog so check back or sign up for my Newsletter to be the first to know when I post something new.
If you decide to try these activities, please share your experience with us. These have made monumental changes in my life; among other forms of energetic, therapeutic, and personal work and self-care. If you’d like to experience energy work in the form of Reiki; contact me here. If you’d like a more tailored coaching experience, stay tuned. I plan to create a coaching package to support you creating a life that feels more meaningful and fulfilling.
May We All Be Infinitely Blessed.
Angela is a MN Licensed Mental Health Therapist and Usui Reiki Master. She has a deep personal commitment to Spiritual Growth and continuous Awakening and is always striving to support you in as many ways as she can to finding creative ways for Connecting Soul To Source.